The month of September is National Gum Care Awareness month. This is the perfect time to discuss the proper way to take care of your gums and the warning signs to be aware of. It is important to practice good oral hygiene to help prevent gum disease. The following tips can help with proper gum care.
- Keep up a good oral hygiene routine
- Daily brushing and flossing
- Use a soft toothbrush
- Swish with a mouth rinse
- Say no to tobacco
- Eat a healthy diet
- Come in for regular cleanings
Did you know that Gingivitis is reversible? Gingivitis is the mildest form of Periodontal disease and is reversible. Gingivitis is an inflammation of the gums. This is caused by the accumulation of plaque that forms on the teeth. Knowing the warning signs can help detect Gingivitis early. If Gingivitis is left untreated, it turns into Periodontitis. At this stage the gum and bone begins to pull away from the teeth which forms a pocket. These pockets collect debris and become infected. Below, are some warning signs to help detect gum disease.
- Tender, Swollen or Red Gums
- Bleeding gums during and after brushing
- Bad breath or a bad taste in your mouth
- Changes within the way your teeth fit together when biting down or the fitting of partial dentures
- Shifting or loose teeth
Make sure to have your regular routine dental checkup and cleaning to keep your teeth and gums healthy. If you have any questions regarding oral hygiene please feel free to contact us.